Thursday, November 18, 2004

IT'S NOT A NUMBER!

Ok, jeez, the next time I go off and disappear for a week I promise to leave a more interesting post for you to read. Maybe. If I feel like it.

Things I Got This Week:

10€ scarf and glove set from H&M (I feel all sophisticated and matchy now)
two bottles of apple cider (already starting to turn - though I was once told that I speak better Spanish after a beer, so hey)
pancakes with ice cream on top (twice)
a Ben & Jerry's car trip mug (free with the purchase of above pancake and a Hot Shake)
churros con chocolate (twice)(oh lord, heart attack)
sick (see above three items)
stamps for postcards (sent them too)(ahahaha fricking FINALLY)

Things I Did Not Get This Week:

a sword (sadness)
chicken wings
a million dollars

Things I Did This Week:

Segovia (again)
Toledo (again)
Arabic baths (not again)
the Madrid Community Symphony, featuring zero (0) violinists
walked. a lot. a lot a lot.
Thai food
Indian food
Italian food
much PANS & Company (YAY)

Scenae:

It is Tuesday afternoon, lunchtime. Allison and her mother exit the wonderful, incredibly awesome Arabic baths and decide to eat at the slightly expensive restaurant included in the same building. They sit on a bench covered with pillows as someone singing about their habib starts pumping through the sound system. The food comes, and Allison starts tucking into her couscous as her mother stares at the slab of meat that has been placed in front of her. She looks, um, bewildered.
Allison's Mother, Of Whom She Is Now Allowed to Make Fun: So...what kind of meat did you say this was again?
Allison: Some sort of cow. Veal maybe. I dunno.
AMOWSINATMF: Veal? Oh no, not baby cow! I can't eat baby cow! *stares at the plate for a minute* Wait. This is an Indian restaurant!
A: *incredulous stare* Mom. Look at the decor. Listen to the music. Where did we just come out of? I'm eating COUSCOUS, for God's sake! This is a Middle Eastern restaurant!
AMOWSINATMF: What? India's in the Middle East!

Next day, dinner at PANS. Allison is explaining why the word for Y in Spanish is "Greek I"
A: Anyway, I think - I'm not sure - but I don't think they have a Y in Latin, so they would have borrowed it from Greek. So it's a Greek I.
AMOWSIetc: Spanish is based on Latin?
A: *again with the incredulous stare* Spanish is a Romance language. They call them Romance languages because they're based on Latin. What are the Romance languages? There are five.
AMOWetc: Umm...I'm gonna assume Spanish is one?
A: *smacks self in face*
Aetc: and Italian...French?...and Portuguese?
A: and Romanian. How many continents are there?
Aetc: Um...I dunno. Five?
A: How many colors are there in the rainbow?
Aetc: ROY G BIV!
A: ROY G BIV IS NOT A NUMBER!

Ah, what good is it spending a week with a parent if you can't get some material out of it afterward?...and the chance to skip a week's worth of classes, and about fifty bucks, and some moisturizer. Mmmm. Take-advantagey.

But not as take-advantagey as it will be when I get back and have to replace all my clothes that Europe is ruining. Hello, Express on somebody else's credit card.

3 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

"Before you know it, YOU'LL be 47 just like your mother"

Methinks someone is projecting a little bit...

11/18/2004 10:58 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

projecting + conjecting = 0, jecting, or 2(jecting)?

11/19/2004 9:07 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

After having waited 20 years for that compliment, I now retire from the Arena of Wit. Thank you for your support. I endorse Barack Obama as my successor.

11/21/2004 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home