Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dukies

This weekend, I was pretty much upset out of my mind. News stuff, hurricane stuff, class stuff, work stuff, all that insanity. I'm sure you all understand. So Friday night, when I had promised myself I'd be reading and was instead glued to the Internets watching depressingosity, I IMed a friend of mine and said "let's rent a car and buy 25 pallets of water and drive to New Orleans". I was not kidding in the traditional sense of the word, though I have, you know, freshmen and work and jobs and responsibilities.

"The National Guard is there," I was told. "We have to trust them. There's nothing we can do." So I didn't.

These kids did.

(I can't cry out for my Tutsi neighbors; I have a family and responsibilities. There is nothing I can do for my Jewish friends; I have my own life to live.)

5 Comments:

Blogger :D said...

dude. that is awesome. those people are awesome.

9/09/2005 12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and was I wrong to say that? Would it help the world if civilians, lacking training or coordination, simply descended upon any major disaster? What if, instead of 3 Dukies, thousands of college kids had showed up? Would that really have helped?

9/09/2005 1:42 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

First of all, I specifically kept you anonymous when I was writing this. I don't want to hear you crying any crap later about how I'm talking about you on my blog, because you just outed yourself.

Second of all, I wasn't talking about organizing the entire Duke undergrad to go down there and start playing with stuff. I was talking about me and the way I felt. Do you not understand what this was about? It is not let's-villainize-people-for-trusting-the-government day. It's I-FEEL-GUILTY day. So I don't want to hear your self-deprecating "hater of mankind" crap, because this doesn't have anything to do with you.

Third, it's not like they need volunteers at, say, the Astrodome or other points around those states. Oh wait. They do.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss this topic in a civil, face-to-face manner rather than throwing sarcasm around the internet.

9/09/2005 10:28 AM  
Blogger Klop said...

you can still just head down to new orleans if you feel like going to help out. i'm sure that they are going to need help for the next year or so, trying to get everything straightened out and rebuilding.

9/09/2005 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Gian Carlo said...

Hi, what are you going to do with a load of water in the pallets?

10/01/2019 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home