Monday, August 08, 2005

Tiny Rant!

1. Mildly objectifying and bad thing: Cillian Murphy is the hottest person alive. Haminahaminahamina.

2. Tiny rant, as Dante has encouraged me to post it. (See, Dante, now if it is bad it's your fault! I oughta go into government!)

--ooh, Cleopatra is on PBS again. My ambivalence towards that movie is really surprising.--

Anyway. So last week I went on a field trip to Toronto with my boss and another intern, and a good time was had by all. We were driving down the QEW on the way home when I saw a billboard with this photo


(image courtesy Stonyfield Farms)

bearing underneath the clever saying "Nicole is waiting for you". The ad was for a movie channel, Showtime or suchlike, I don't remember.

My question is this. There are thousands of movies with hot women in them. There are thousands and thousands of pictures of hot women from these movies. There are, I'm sure, many pictures of Nicole Kidman looking hot from many movies, if Nicole Kidman is what the ad people wanted. So why did they find it necessary to take Stepford Wives - the most important, most current, and/or most popculturefied feminist fairy tale - and turn it into a come-on? I haven't seen the new version, so I don't know how much they've changed the story, but the heaping of irony upon irony seems pretty blatant to me. It's a little thing, but it still makes me angry. So, so, so righteously angry.

Anyway, RoadTrip2005 begins tomorrow earlylike, so I am to bed now. I will see all you pretty people later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Klop said...

it wasn't bad at all. you are free to express yourself however you like.

different people get upset by different things.

if i saw that billboard, i'd just end up depressed that i don't have a hot blonde waiting for me at home.

(i think even guys will admit that cillian is uber good looking)

8/09/2005 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/12/2005 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home