Thursday, November 25, 2004

Oh My Goodness I Am So Trite and Poserish

It's fun to be trite and poserish, actually. I never have to think anything up for myself and no one has to look at me. Whee.

Things I Am Thankful For:

Ten wiggly fingers, ten wiggly toes, the limbs they're attached to and a brain to run the joint.

The people of Immanuel Baptist Church, Nooree and the Aycockers, the Lewis family, Rick and Dalene, the Cobb family and all the people who have welcomed me into their homes every Thanksgiving and taken care of me just as if I belonged. Oh, and Hungry Man brand by Swanson.

Duke. From the top of the Chapel to the bottom of the tunnels, from Science Drive to Markham, it's my home and I love it with all of my heart, despite the grief it gives me.

Mom and Grandpa, for being the first and best parents (or surrogate-parent-figures)ever and my rocks. Uncle Craig, for introducing me to video games, teaching me how to have fun, and making me that much less of a lonely only child. Aunt Carrie and Uncle Bob, for all the times I was sick and miserable and you took care of me (also "tookies"), and the girls for being awesome and letting me pretend to be a big kid while we babysat. You get negative points for not living here anymore, though (kidding). Uncle Chris and Becky, for being incredible beyond my power to describe (also for giving me Editor of Earth Island Journal Writing 20 namedropping privileges - will explain someday). Grandma, for all the trips you've made to be with us over the past couple of decades. And, of course, the munchkins for providing me with something to mold into my own image (muahahaha) and still looking up to me despite being kicked out of my room millions and billions of times. Also for letting me twirl them around until we get dizzy.

My East Aurora friends, who got me through the most mind-bogglingly terrible six years of my short life. Cam, Billy, Shorty, Faye, Marcy, and everyone I haven't talked to in forever, I could write you each pages on how much I love you. Thank you.

My Duke friends, who helped move my life from darkness into day. Jeannie, Deirdre, (and Jeannie and Deirdre again) Aaron, Jon, Chris, and everyone else (especially the Class of 05 Brownies and the Class of 06 Bassetteers), don't you dare graduate until I do. Except for Chris, because he did already.

Mighty Taco with loganberry, Long John Silver's and the fried crap in the bottom of the basket, linguine and clam sauce, and shrimp and broccoli stirfry without the shrimp - Chicken Finger Granwiches, barbeque wings, pints of Ben & Jerry's, subs from Avenue, and Sweet Tooth - dried cherry scones, Chez Panisse (even though I am such an uncultured swine I should never have been allowed in), lemon meringue pie, and, let's face it, everything Becky ever put her hands to - Cosmic veggie quesadillas, eggplant parmesan from Francesca's, portabella burgers from The Loop, Papa John's at midnight, and OF COURSE Cafe Au Lait brownies. (Also, thank you for not making me the only one to include an entire section on food.)

Summers at Kent State Falls, Chestnut Ridge, Girl Scout Camp, Muir Woods, and everything that made me realize (despite years of paternal propaganda) how not a city person I am.

The kindness of the Peruvian lady in choir this week who told me she had to stop and listen to realize I was American and my professor this morning who told me that I looked pretty. Next request: less kindness from the middle-aged women and more from the 18-24 year old male demographic. Please.

The capacity and willingness to work, and the luck of having found something I love to do even when it's about Italian Renaissance patronage with specific emphasis on the status of the genius and is MAKING ME INSANE.

Singing. Especially Handel's Messiah.

I am in Spain, and have a place I want to go home to (45 days!). Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you.

High technology and all the electronic little gidgety gadgets that make me happy.

The Daily Show, America: The Book, Conan O'Brien, Family Guy, the Simpsons, Jon Pugh, Homestar Runner, and all those things that make me shake with laughter. Included in this is being young and immature enough for it to be ok to laugh at these things without people shaking their heads and wondering what is wrong with me.

Last summer, especially the last six weeks, and the first time in my life I have felt that I was in the right place at the right time doing exactly the right thing.

Having fallen in love and therefore knowing that I am capable of doing so (I was worried for about 19 years there). Also, having fallen out of love and realizing that it is not the end of the world. In general, the wonderful happenstance of having a window opened every time a door is closed.

Lists, for allowing me to enumerate and reason through all the reasons why my life and the people in it (well, most of them - I could do without everyone at AT&T Wireless) are amazing.

Endings, for allowing me to demonstrate my high level of easily distractive behavior.

***edit***

Also thankful for one finished 10-page paper and one paper with 7.5/15 pages written. Thank you, oh thank you, thank you. Oh, and for sweet potato casserole, which is ridiculously good and the nice church people let me have seconds. And stuffing. And mashed potatoes, and pecan pie and potato pie and apple pie and green bean casserole and Waldorf Salad and holy crap, I love Thanksgiving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Kelley said...

Love ya, Kiddo!

Happy T-day!

11/25/2004 3:41 PM  
Blogger Rita Xavier said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Allie. I am so happy that you had a good dinner way over there. I love you.

11/25/2004 6:09 PM  
Blogger Rita Xavier said...

Are you singing the Messiah in Spain?

11/25/2004 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home