Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I Ought to Know This

One of you out there has to speak Latin, right?

I'm trying to translate a text for one of my professors, but the author done gone and left some of the most seminal parts of the text in their original church Latin, circa 16th c. I can't understand the meaning without the quotes, but I don't speak Latin at all. Can you guys help me? There are two, and here they are:

"Quid ergo dicis de peregrinatibus Romam, Hierusalem, S. Iacobum, Aquisgranum, Treverim, multasque alias regiones et loca causa Indulgentiarum: item in dedicationibus Ecclesiarum? Peregrinationes istae fiunt multis causas; rarissime iustis." (Martin Luther)

"Qui vadit apud sanctum Jacobum et occidit patrem suum non facet mortale peccatum." (uncredited)

They both have to do with pilgrimage, which is what peregrinatibus/peregrinationes mean, I know that much.

Thankee kindly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home