Monday, May 01, 2006

Help!

It has come to my attention that I should get a gift for my thesis/independent study advisor. I've had her (in class and independently) for three consecutive semesters, and while we haven't worked all that closely on this paper, that is pretty much entirely due to the fact that I suck and am easily intimidated (and - corollary - she is way too cool for me). Also, there's a possibility that I may end up helping her with her research this summer? so I want to be nice. Bottom line, I don't know her all that well and so I am at a loss re: things to give her that would be personally meaningful.

I know she likes wine. Would a bottle of wine be ok? If so, any suggestions? I don't know anything about wine at all, and my choices are limited to what they stock at Whole Foods, so there's that. I'm willing to spend a bit of money, so cost isn't super-important (ok, maybe $50ish is the upward limit).

2 Comments:

Blogger fortyquestions said...

Wine is fine. I wouldn't spend more than 30 bucks. It's the thought that counts. There used to be a store - can't remember the name - that had nice wines and was very helpful in Brightleaf Square. Don't know if it's still there. Haven't lived in Durham in years. Whole Foods should be good too.

5/01/2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger :D said...

The one in Brightleaf Square is Foster's I believe, and they are very nice there. Summer's coming/here so go with a white, which is served chilled. I think a lot of people like a Reisling or a Pino Grigio: they tend to be crisp and light. Don't do Chardonnay; it's too cliche. And don't worry, if she hates it she can always use the rest in cooking (pour over boneless skinless chicken breasts until it's about an inch deep in the pan and add whatever spices one chooses or has available, bake at least 1/2 an hour or until chicken is cooked through. yummmm).

5/07/2006 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home