Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Maybe When I Get Out of Here I'll Be Creative Again

Tomorrow morning I leave for Dad's, which precedes immediately DUKEDUKEMOTHERIthinkyouknowwhereI'mgoingwiththis.

Things I Am Looking Forward To:

1. Dad's cooking. I have a feeling he's going to whip out pastitsio at some point, after which I will die happily engorged.
2. WORK. The making-money kind as well as the intellectual and extracurricular kind. I want that adrenaline rush, the kind that comes right after you start thinking "ohmygod I can never finish all this in time ohmygod I am a failure ohmygod I will be working at McDonald's for the rest of my life". Having an income again will also be nice. (income, I love you.)
3. JEANNIEDEIRDREJONYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! Ahem. Also other Dukies, whom I love love love and miss miss miss. (so badly, in fact, that I need to repeat repeat repeat myself.)
4. My fishies! Oh, you all just WAIT until I am back with my boys. You will drown in pictures.
5. Hopefully spending a lot more time with the Lewis fambly now that Jess goes to UNC. Hell, hopefully spending a lot more time with JESS now that Jess goes to UNC. Best friends since birth! Hurrah!

Things I Am NOT Looking Forward To:

1. RA training. 8 hours of being locked into Von Canon with...uhh...slightly dubious company. Do not worry, Jeannie dear, I don't mean you.
2. I didn't get to see Cam tonight because his boiler exploded. I will not see him, or any of my other EAers, for who knows how long. I don't know when/if I'm coming back this summer, and...I wuv you guys.
3. North Carolina doesn't have lottery tickets.
4. So...I was in Tops today, buying aforementioned lottery tickets (I won $1!), and I started to realize how inextricably the building is tied in with my life. I mean, for starters, it's the whole reason we moved to East Aurora in the first place - had they not tried to build it we wouldn't ever have gotten involved, and probably would have bought a house in OP or something. I can't count how many girl's nights, birthday parties, sleepovers, movies, and dates have started, ended, or middled with a trip to get more Pepsi and popcorn. I worked there for two mind-numbing, suicide-inducing years (I never quite got around to it, but be assured that I wanted to). I know that store like I know myself - its layout, its people, its little inconsistencies (why do you put the Cheez Whiz with the frozen food? why?) And there's something so - so soothing, so normal, so homey - about going there at night, when the lights are dimmed and it feels like the building is smaller and less impersonal. I won't be able to do that anymore. I won't be able to go anywhere alone after dark anymore without my whistle clenched between my lips. Ah, Durham.
5. Byebye, cooking for self. :(
6. Driving from New York City to Durham with a live fish between my legs.
7. Waking up at 6am tomorrow.

I will see you all on the other side of this week. Grandma, if you're reading this, I love you and hope you're feeling better.

6 Comments:

Blogger Coral Clarke said...

"it's the whole reason we moved to East Aurora in the first place - had they not tried to build it we wouldn't ever have gotten involved, and probably would have bought a house in OP or something."

Um, no. We heard about the attempt to rezone the land AFTER we signed the papers to buy the house (that same evening, as a matter of fact. Talk about sucky timing). It sure as hell dominated our lives, though.

1/05/2005 9:02 AM  
Blogger Rita Xavier said...

Thank you, Allie. Yes, I am reading this, and I lovelovelove you, too, my oldest, very smart and beautiful granddaughter. I do feel better, and hope to soon get on with my life.

1/05/2005 12:20 PM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

i am dubious :-D :-D :-D

there is one certain person im not wild about being locked into a room with for 8 hours, but now that you will be there, it makes me happy :-D

1/05/2005 2:08 PM  
Blogger Chris Clarke said...

6. Driving from New York City to Durham with a live fish between my legs..

There goes this blog's PG-13 rating.

1/05/2005 5:48 PM  
Blogger Coral Clarke said...

Hahaha Chris. Unfortunately, said fish did not end up making the trip. He went to the airport with Allie, but was not allowed on the plane. So Mommy had to drive back to the airport, go to the Jet Blue ticket counter, SHOW ID(!!!) to get the fish, and then take him home again. He is back in his old tank now, but I think he was horribly traumatized.....

1/06/2005 8:13 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I was PG-13? I say fuck too much to be PG-13!

Jeannie we shall save each other from insanely sketchy men! Though yours is worse than mine...ahaha...good luck.

1/07/2005 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home